9.10.2009

Peach Pie


The pie turned out wonderfully if I do say so myself. So wonderfully that it was consumed, in its entirety in 3 days by just 2 people...which is why I shouldn't enjoy cooking and baking; especially the baking, so much. I made another just 4 days later and shared it with the in-laws who were in town the night before we all headed out for wonderful sunny, west coast laid back, California...but that's another post for another day.

Today I want to share with you the pie. It started off with the perfect pie crust. I followed the instructions found here to a T because of the fear of pie crusts my mother had instilled in me. However, even if some of my butter chunks were a bit larger than some of my other butter chunks and when I rolled it out it really didn't resemble a circle and had quite jagged edges, a perfectly 12" round was still extracted from it's amoeba-ness and baked up just perfectly (or good enough). I kinda made up my own filling concoction after reading a dozen different recipes for peach pie filling. I decided you really couldn't go wrong with juicy fresh in season peaches. I added 1/4 Cup less sugar than most recipes called for, I really dislike the overly sweet pie, and added in a bit of cinnamon, and of course dredged the peaches in flower first, smooshed it all together piled it in the chilled pie crust and dotted with butter.


Then, because one can never have too much crust and my philosophy is go big or go home, I finished with a lattice top. It may not have turned out looking like the the previous post's picture, but it was fairly good and tasted really good. I rolled out my second chilled round of butter chunked dough and cut it into strips. Then laid them across the top in a weave fashion and as tight as possible because there is no such thing as too much crust!


Anyone that's ever had a fear of pie, fear no more. Run and grab up some of the last juicy in-season peaches of the summer and you will be praised for your efforts.


No comments:

Post a Comment