11.14.2009

Raspberry Cake

I am unfortunately not feeling all that creative at the moment. It's been kind of a blah day. I don't feel like I've been particularly productive today, and I need my Saturday's to feel productive, because if not, then it becomes Sunday which is the day before the next work week starts so I feel pressure to relax, but I also have to get done all of the things that needed to get done on my two, tiny, fly-by, days off from work! Guess I should get over it and go be productive. However, I have one I'm-too-old-but-still-watch-highschool-drama tv shows to watch that has been sitting on the bf's dvr since Monday...yeah, I think I'll do that instead...

But first, Raspberry cake. We neeeded a dessert. We had eggs, flour, buttermilk...and raspberries. So what better to whip up than a raspberry cake. From start to serving plate took about 1 hour (if you like warm cake..which I happen to love)

Raspberry Cake
recipe adapted a smidgen from Smitten Kitchen

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cupplus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh raspberries*

Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer** at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about two minutes. Add egg and beat well.

At low speed, mix** in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined. Using a spatula to aid, empty bowl of batter into cake pan and smooth top. Drop raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.

Bake until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate.

* I didn't measure my raspberries, I just used a whole carton.

** My stand mixer was dirty...and had been for two days. As I hate doing dishes, I chose to do the beating by hand. I probably didn't beat it for for the durations listed, but no harm was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment